FIRST ON WITN: Craven County Fire Tower On Fire!

Firefighters were called to a place that normally spots fires, not causes them A state forestry fire tower caught fire Thursday morning in Craven County.

Smoke and some flames were coming out of the top of the fire tower on old U.S. 70 in Tuscarora when our reporter first arrived. That road was shut down as firefighters worked to put out the blaze

Fire crews used a ladder truck to get water to the top of the tower, which is about 125 off the ground. We're told a fire hydrant right next to the fire tower didn't work, so firefighters had to truck in water.

The fire department says a worker was installing Wi-Fi in the tower when a breaker tripped and started the fire. No one was hurt.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by Anonymous on May 9, 2010 at 10:18 PM
    Ok people this is a building thats old and who knows what condition the electrical equipment was in...Also leave the FD alone...obviously this is in the middle of no where otherwise there wouldnt have been a fire tower built in the first place. I think those of you making fun at the FD should get some training on what the heck you are talking about. Not every district can afford a platform truck, a million dollar piece of equipment, to be on standby for all the what ifs. Thats why this department used mutual aid from New Bern...Just like New Bern uses No. 9 when they need help. No agency is ever able to stand alone and mutaul and automatic aid is a nationwide standard. So back off on the firefighters until you get your butt up out of bed at Oh Dark thirty to help a stranger!
  • by fireman Location: jasper on May 7, 2010 at 08:53 AM
    I would like to set the story straight for those of that were not there and want to make up your own opinion.The tower has been out of service for several years.The fire started when they cut the breaker on so they could have power to install wi-fi.Yes the hydrant was broke but that was not a issue at all. Volunteer fire departments are use to working with out fire hydrants.The issue as that it was 120 ft tall and over 50 years old and has wooding steps and the top was on fire.It was out of service. It was not worth geting any body hurt when our good neigbors at New Bern Fire/Rescue have a truck designed to fight this kind of fire safely.So if you do like the way things were handled you may want to think about becoming a voluteer firefighter they are always looking for good folks that want to voluteer there time to help there fellow man.Maybe if you learn the trade you want be so quick to judge. Good job!! NO.9 Township Fire & Rescue (Sta.35) and New Bern Fire-Rescue (Sta 41).
  • by Mike Location: Hubert on May 7, 2010 at 03:08 AM
    How stupid do they think we are? THey say that a breaker tripped and started a fire! OH REALLY !! When a breaker trips the electricity STOPS FLOWING !!! Something else started that fire! But that's just another example of the old saying that there is no news in the truth and no truth in the news!
  • by Anonymous on May 6, 2010 at 05:27 PM
    It is a wonder that they dont catch on fire more frequently due to lightening storm here in eastern carolina.
  • by :) Location: Beaufort County on May 6, 2010 at 05:07 PM
    Hahaha! This reminds me of the time a "State" worker caught the kitchen of the Forest Service in Beaufort County on fire. I believe the front page of the paper said "Only you can prevent kitchen fires!" hahaha Too funny!
  • by Holy Smoke! on May 6, 2010 at 04:48 PM
    Only in ENC could this occur! I think the trees did it.
  • by Anonymous on May 6, 2010 at 04:29 PM
    It's a "fire" tower. Of course it's on fire. Hello!
  • by Nate Location: Choco on May 6, 2010 at 01:44 PM
    Hey Pilot Im sure no one would argue if you tried, maybe if you hit it going fast enough you wont feel anything! Great job Firefighters!
  • by tug Location: New Bern on May 6, 2010 at 01:32 PM
    RUKiddingMe...you obviously know nothing about the fire service. Tripped breakers cause fires everyday. When breakers trip they let off sparks and arc to other metals. If he tripped a breaker, something arced somewhere. However electrical fires usually trip them and as such appear to be simultaneous. Chances are it was a loose wire or worn insulation. now as far as the WiFi, glad I didn't set my house on fire when I installed it. As a firefighter, I recognize how hard this one was to deal with. A dry hydrant doesn't help. Good work Station 35
  • by RUKidding Me on May 6, 2010 at 12:02 PM
    Really?? That was ALL that it was? No Foul Play? Nothng that they don't want public? When was the last time anyone heard of a FIRE from Wi-Fi installation. When is the last time tripped breaker caused a FIRE since the 70s. Okay, I'm a fool Ill buy that story! God Help US!
  • Page:
WITN

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 92972524 - witn.com/a?a=92972524
Gray Television, Inc.