Despite Devastating Fire, Family Says They'll Still Have Christmas

A child playing with a lighter sparked Monday's fire in Havelock that destroyed four apartments in a complex, leaving three people without a home.

The fire happened at Eastwood Square Apartments on Shipman Road.

The Havelock news reports that Havelock Fire Marshal John Lewis says the investigation is complete, and the fire started when a boy caught a couch on fire, which then quickly spread.

Several tenants say despite the fire, they won't remain homeless.

Town and Country rentals has provided a few of them town homes for the rest of the month.

Those wishing to help Monday's fire victims can contact the Red Cross of New Bern.

Previous Story:

Two different fires kept Havelock firefighters busy Monday.

The first fire happened at apartments on Shipman Road around 10:20 a.m. Chief Rick Zaccardelli says all four apartments in the unit were damaged.

The SBI arson unit is now assisting with determining how the fire started. No one was hurt in the blaze.

The second fire happened at a home on MacDonald Boulevard around 1:30 p.m. That fire was under control in less than 30 minutes and right now there is no cause as to how it started.

No one was hurt in that fire either.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WITN

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 79240742 - witn.com/a?a=79240742
Gray Television, Inc.