Residents of a Beaufort neighborhood were evacuated from their homes early this morning after police noticed an ammonia leak.
An officer on patrol noticed the very strong odor of ammonia as he left the police department around 1:40 a.m.
They discovered the ammonia was leaking from Beaufort Ice Company on Broad Street and after the fire department took a reading it was determined the ammonia level was at a dangerous level.
Homes within 100 yards of the leak were evacuated. Police say that impacted 20 to 30 people.
The owner of the ice business was contacted and was able to shut down their system and stop the leak.
Residents were allowed to return to their homes about an hour later.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.