Residents Evacuated After Ammonia Leak In Beaufort

Residents of a Beaufort neighborhood were evacuated from their homes early this morning after police noticed an ammonia leak.

An officer on patrol noticed the very strong odor of ammonia as he left the police department around 1:40 a.m.

They discovered the ammonia was leaking from Beaufort Ice Company on Broad Street and after the fire department took a reading it was determined the ammonia level was at a dangerous level.

Homes within 100 yards of the leak were evacuated. Police say that impacted 20 to 30 people.

The owner of the ice business was contacted and was able to shut down their system and stop the leak.

Residents were allowed to return to their homes about an hour later.

You must be logged in to post comments.

Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 160376215 -
Gray Television, Inc.