The town of Emerald Isle wants a new sales tax to help renourish its disappearing beaches.
The Daily News of Jacksonville reported that the town is seeking legislative approval for a referendum to let the town levy a 1-cent tax for beach preservation. All sales and use transactions would be taxed.
Town officials say the tax would raise $700,000 to $800,000 annually. Town Manager Frank Rush says officials want to pursue the tax because it's uncertain whether the state will continue to contribute to beach renourishment projects.
County and town taxes pay about 75 percent of the cost now with the state traditionally covering the remaining 25 percent.
The tax would set a precedent in North Carolina because counties collect all municipal sales and use taxes now.
(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.