D.A. Says No Charges In Child's Shooting Death

The district attorney says there will be no charges filed against the father of an 11-year-old girl who was killed late last month in Carteret County.

District Attorney Scott Thomas says the death of Kassidy Wynne on June 28th was a "tragic accident" involving the accidental discharge of a firearm.

Deputies say Michael Wynne told them he was in his spare bedroom clearing a 20 gauge shotgun when the weapon fired. Wynne told 911 that he had accidentally shot his daughter.

Deputies say Wynne's older daughter was also in the room at the time of the shooting. The two had just arrived the day before to spend the summer with their father.

Thomas says he has spoken with the girl's mother and she agrees with his decision.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by Wolfgang Location: Chocowinity,NC on Jul 8, 2010 at 07:45 PM
    What words can you say? God this is so sad. My condolances to the family
  • by Jeff on Jul 8, 2010 at 04:08 PM
    Im glad that no charges will be filed, it has to be hard enough for them as it is.
  • by Mom Location: NC on Jul 8, 2010 at 12:37 PM
    I think that was the right decision. This is the worst for any parent. No need for more punishment.
  • by Momof3 Location: Hyde on Jul 8, 2010 at 12:31 PM
    Praise God! This man and this family are going through enough and no punishment will ever compare to the way he feels.
WITN

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 98050104 - witn.com/a?a=98050104
Gray Television, Inc.