Coastal Homeowners Get Credit On Home Owner's Insurance

Qualified coastal residents will get a credit on their homeowners insurance policies, thanks to a order by Insurance Commission Wayne Goodwin.

The approved mitigation credits will provide premium discounts for wind and hail coverages on homes with qualifying construction features that help mitigate damage and insurance losses.

The credits will be effective May 1, 2011 and apply to policies written in the voluntary market and the beach plan within the 18 coastal counties.

To find out if you qualify you should contact your insurance agent and/or company.

You must be logged in to post comments.

Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by Mike Location: Yeatesville on Jun 25, 2010 at 03:00 PM
    In response to Jim's remark I've been living in the Yeatesville area for over 10 years & Insurance went up over 100%last year.I don't think I should have to move because of so called "premium rates"!!!!
  • by Jim Location: Grifton on Jun 25, 2010 at 12:59 PM
    It's really very simple. If you don't like the premium rates for your area, all you have to do is move.
  • by waddell on Jun 24, 2010 at 08:21 PM
    i live in kinston, and mine went down like 45%, have no idea why?
  • by Jeff on Jun 24, 2010 at 07:45 PM
    If you live within 50 miles of the coast, your required to have wind and hail insurance. Its a rip off, last year we had a "tropical storm" hit the NC coast and me, who lives in craven county got a small amount of rain and wind, and my mother whom lives in wayne county got ALOT worse weather than i did. I think we all should get a break on insurance.
  • by Renee Location: Here on Jun 24, 2010 at 03:37 PM
    Its NOT just people who build houses near the water! You can live in a coastal county and be 60 miles or more away from the water but you still pay what people on the beach pay!! JG in Manteo hit the nail on the head, its political!!
  • by Pinetown Location: Yeastville Community on Jun 24, 2010 at 01:43 PM
    Let's insurance went up 110% about a year ago. A savings would be nice, I wonder if I will qualify for a discount? Probably not, live in a doublewide. I'm so frustrated with all this! It's like SLAP! SLAP! in the face pay it or else. Maybe it should be base on people that makes the claims. I've never had a claim even through Dennis & Floyd. At this point I just want to get my mortgage paid off as quickly as possible and drop the insurance.
  • by kra on Jun 24, 2010 at 01:19 PM
    yeah,yeah, all nosamas fault,as usual and several of you need to go back to school to learn how to spell or type
  • by Sam Location: Kitty Hawk on Jun 24, 2010 at 09:46 AM
    Those Raleigh Politicians do anything it takes to rip us coastal residents off when it comes to anything. I'm including anyone that lives East of I-95. JG, I'm right there with you man. My father-in-law who lives in Manteo as well is furious over what I call INSURANCE FRAUD. It's another form of trying to scam us into paying extra for them while they get just as much damage if not more than we do. The state's insurance program is a fraud and a joke in itself. Even that, our house is on some of the high ground in Kitty Hawk, not where it can be flooded. Please don't even let Obama get into this as he would make it worse on us.
  • by Insurance poor Location: enc on Jun 24, 2010 at 09:32 AM
    Live 15 miles inland. Have never filed a claim for my home in decades. Am seriously considering dropping all but liability because home insurance has increased so much. Then, have the savings to do so and own it outright. Calculated risk...
  • by JG Location: Manteo on Jun 24, 2010 at 08:51 AM
    Coastal insurance keeps rising and Charlotte area has not had an increase since 1993. Fact! Only 26% of wind damage claims over past 19 years were paid from the 18 coastal counties. 74% inland, Fact! Legislators want to protect the premiums of inland counties since that is where most voters live. So they do not mind sticking it to the coastal counties, Speaker Hackney stated that 80% of voters are happy with their HO insurance so the other 20% will have to suck it up, Fact! We are not talking about building on the ocean here, we are talking about Eastern NC in general. The low mitigation credits are a joke. This is a political issue. Get involved and persuade your county and town join NC20 to protect your rights.
  • Page:

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 97052624 -
Gray Television, Inc.