Authorities are investigating whether heating improvements sparked a fire that destroyed a home Tuesday afternoon.
There is no cause yet to the fire at the home of Evelyn and Cody White, that's in Bettie in Carteret County.
The family tells WITN News that new heat strips were installed in the Old River Road home about an hour before the blaze.
The couple is now staying with a daughter in Newport. There were no injuries in the fire, though the remains did flare up again overnight.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.