Flames erupted this Thanksgiving at a home in Martin county leaving the home unlivable.
Williamston Fire department received the call around 10:30am Thursday morning.
Captain Chris Howell says when they arrived to 517 Carolina Avenue they saw heavy smoke coming from the back of the home.
Howell says it took them 30 minutes to get the flames under control.
He say the cause appears to be a faulty electrical outlet that had smoldered throughout the night, while the occupant spent the evening with family nearby.
Howell says if the residents didn't return to pick up items Thursday morning, the fire could have been worse.
Howell say the bedroom sustained significant damage while the rest of the home has smoke and heat damage.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.