Fire crews responded to a fire at the Inn at Moratoc in Williamston early Friday morning.
Williamston Fire Captain Kenny Warren says crews got the call at 6:05 a.m. Friday. A person in the motel spotted flames shooting out the window of a room across the motel's courtyard.
The fire and smoke was contained to a room on the second floor. No other fire alarms or smoke detectors were activated. No guests were staying in the room that caught on fire.
Captain Warren says early indications show the heating unit in the room malfunctioned, and the sofa caught on fire.
Warren says damage was limited to the room where the fire was, along with the window in the adjacent room that crews needed to break.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.