One of those claw machines filled with stuffed animals caught fire, causing some $11,000 damage to a fitness center in Williamston.
Fire crews were called to the Nu Life Fitness Center on East Boulevard in Williamston around 4:15 a.m. Lt. Chris Howell says when they first arrived they saw water pouring out the front door, while inside there was heavy smoke. Howell says the claw machine fire activated the sprinkler system, so the fire could have been much worse if that had not happened.
The fire department says the owners told them they had the machine worked on last week due to a malfunction. Nothing else caught fire, but the water damage to the business was extensive.
The NuLife Fitness and NuLife 4 Kids centers will both be closed Monday.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.