Fire Destroys Service Center

Fire crews say fire destroyed a convenience store and tire repair business in Martin County.

The fire broke out late Monday afternoon at the Parmele Service Center off of Alternate 64 in Parmele.

There were no injuries. Fire crews say a heater was left on and sparked the blaze. The business had closed for the day when the fire broke out.

Fire officials in Robersonville say they haven't seen a fire like this in the past ten years.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by Sue on Mar 11, 2010 at 06:34 AM
    Day 3 after the fire. Aunt Wilma, Patty, and Thomas appear to be doing ok. They have strong faith, and are going forward. The clean up has been long and strenuous, and thank you to all of those whom have helped them. Because of having to work, I could not be there, but would have if I could have and Aunt Wilma and Patty understand. If you know Aunt Wilma, you know that she is a remarkable lady. And our Hero/Guarding Angel Mark Harron, has continued to stay by their side.
  • by lisa Location: cc tx on Mar 11, 2010 at 12:26 AM
    i just found out yesterday from my aunt that this happened in my old neighborhood. my daughter and I always went to the store for snacks. Im glad no one was in store at the time. my thoughts and prayers are with you guys, even in TX.
  • by Terry and Johnna Location: Robersonville on Mar 10, 2010 at 03:08 PM
    Thomas,Patty and Aunt Wilma we are so sorry to hear about the fire.If there is anything we can do to help clean up or whatever needs to be done, please don't hesitate to call you know we are right down the road.. you are all in our prayers and Praise God that no one was hurt.....
  • by Aunt Sue Location: work on Mar 10, 2010 at 08:17 AM
    Nikki, I am so glad to finally see someone stand up for Aunt Wilma, Patty and Thomas. I cheer you on for coming forth. I was at the point of posting something myself until I saw yours. Good for you, honey for stating what you did. They are the greatest people in the world and some of the comments here were so unfair to them. I will be there this afternoon after work. I love you, Nikki. Aunt Sue
  • by Aunt Sue on Mar 10, 2010 at 08:04 AM
    Good for you, Nikki.
  • by Nikki Whitehurst Location: Robersonville on Mar 10, 2010 at 07:39 AM
    This is my granny's store, not for sure why people are so scared to put their "real" names. I think everyone needs to be thankful that no one was hurt instead of going back and fourth about a heater that is really not that important at this point. For the record....my granny did say there was no heater. When her and my aunt left they did cut all of the breakers off other than the fridge. This building is 75 years old and we are thankful that it has made it this long. My uncle Thomas and the family are going to do everything they can to fix/repair the building for his business as well as giving my granny and Aunt a place to work and enjoy the people who always stop by to visit. My granny has been at this store as long as I can remember and at this point I'm so thankful for all who have called, helped and prayed for our family.
  • by Cat Woman on Mar 10, 2010 at 07:08 AM
    Thank you ODXFAN for coming to the defense of our family. Now please unless you have a kind word to say for the family, let this rest.
  • by OBXFAN Location: Williamston on Mar 10, 2010 at 06:28 AM
    It seems that the fire started around the fridge, there is not a heater even in that room. That is where the fire did the most damage, besides we know that the heaters were not on that the breakers had been turned off. I went to the store after it had burned to check on Thomas Patty and their mother, and walked through to try to salvage anything. Hope that answers your question!
  • by junior Location: Gvagas on Mar 10, 2010 at 05:47 AM
    If the family knows what started the fire then why dont you ANON and Cat Woman please let everyone else know what really started the fire since you know so much and do not trust the word of the fire investigator.
  • by Anon on Mar 9, 2010 at 12:45 PM
    Thank you obxfan. Just trying to correct an error. Thanks for your all your thoughts and prayers.
  • Page:
WITN

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 87000147 - witn.com/a?a=87000147
Gray Television, Inc.