Smoke Forces Evacuation At Williamston School

Smoke forced the evacuation of a school Tuesday afternoon in Martin County.

Children were safely evacuated from Williamston Primary School around 2:30 p.m.

A school employee says smoke filled a classroom in the rear of the building, and all children were safely evacuated from the building. A teacher's assistant was treated for smoke inhalation, but is okay.

Superintendent Dr. Tom Daly says a belt in a compressor, located in a mechanical room, caused the smoke. Since there is no school Wednesday, Daly says there will be ample time to fix the problem without impacting classes.

It happened right as school was being let out for the day, so the school just sped up dismissal to clear the building of all students.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WITN

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 69679287 - witn.com/a?a=69679287