Washington Fire Marshal Jasper Hardison reminds people using portable heaters to make sure they buy ones that are certified.
As the weather cools down, people start using those heaters, and they can be a fire hazard if not used correctly.
In addition to making sure the heater is certified, Hardison also says it's best not to overload your electrical system. The best way to know if you've done that is by feeling the cord and the outlet plate to see if they are warm.
Chief Hardison also says, "different types of heaters that you have you should only use them when you're there, not when your sleeping at night. Be awake and around when you use them and then cut them off before you leave the house or go to bed at night,"
This weekend is when we turn our clocks back Hardison says that's the time you should also change the batteries in your smoke detector.