WITN  | Beaufort County  | News, Weather, Sports

Fire Chief: Apartment Fire Caused By Boy With Lighter

By: Chris Jones
By: Chris Jones

Washington fire fighters were called out twice overnight to an apartment fire at 114 Sparrow Drive.

The first call was sometime after 8:00 p.m. Tuesday night. Fire Chief Robbie Rose says a young boy was playing with a lighter on a mattress. The fire quickly spread throughout the upstairs bedroom.

Coley Moore with the Washington Housing Authority says the boy is 4 or 5-years-old.

Chief Rose says there may have been some hesitation in calling 911 because "the fire was burning pretty substantially" when the call came in. Moore says the tenant may have been trying to put the fire out herself before it got out of control.

Crews arrived and thought they had the fire out completely, but Chief Moore says a strong wind gust may have rekindled it early Wednesday morning. This time the fire had spread through the roof and damaged the apartment next door.

Chief Rose says everyone made it out of both units safely, although the young boy received minor burns.

Moore says the Housing Authority has put the families up in a motel for the night and is contacting the Red Cross for further assistance.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WITN

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 136302893