A family of four lost everything in a fire just 12 days before Christmas, and Christmas lights may be to blame.
Beaufort County firefighters were called to the home on Broad Creek Road around 5:30 p.m. Wednesday.
The home was owned by Stan and Carolyn Garris, who lived there for the past ten years with their 16 year old son and 8 year old daughter.
The family lost everything in the fire, including Christmas presents under the tree. They were down the road about to eat dinner at a friend's home when they learned of the fire.
The family's dog, 'Nallah' was home, and survived the fire by going to the back of the home, When found by firefighters, the dog was covered in soot.
Firefighters told the family they they believe either Christmas lights on the front porch, or some other electrical problem started the fire.
The family is getting help from the American Red Cross, who are putting them up at a motel for three nights.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.