Four fire departments and EMS responded to Perkins Rd. in Washington very early Tuesday. Emergency Management Director John Pack says a wood burning stove caused the fire.
The call for the fire went out at 76 Perkins Rd. at 12:15 a.m. Tuesday. Clarks Neck, Old Ford, Bunyan and Washington Fire crews responded, along with Washington EMS.
Pack says the homeowner said he had put out a fire in his wood burning stove earlier in the night, but it rekindled overnight. The house is a total loss, says Pack, and nothing inside is salvageable.
WITN spoke to the woman who lives there overnight, who said she, her husband and two children escaped the fire without injury.
Pack worries tonight's frigid temperatures will bring more opportunities for house fires because of "wood stoves, fireplaces and things that don't get put into service except for this time of year," Pack said. "And they're not maintained properly."
Pack warned all homeowners to "please take extra care, and watch stoking the fire extra hot. Do your maintenance."
He also added, "We'll be there to answer the call."
WITN spoke with a woman who lives there, and she says that she, her husband, and two children made it out ok, but their house was still on fire and severely damaged.
We don't know at this time when the fire started or what may have started it, but the homeowner says she and her family have been outside for a long time. Temperatures have been falling overnight with a high in the upper 30's expected today.
The American Red Cross has been notified about the fire. We'll keep you posted as more details come in.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.