Orlando, Fla. – Sixth-seeded East Carolina (12-10) defeated No. 11 Connecticut in the first round of the American Athletic Conference Tournament Wednesday in Orlando.
The Pirates earned the doubles point to lead the match 1-0 entering singles play after wins at No. 1 and No. 3 doubles.
Nastja Rettich put the Pirates ahead 2-0 with a 6-1, 6-1 win on court six. Celia Ruiz defeated Emma Alderman 6-3, 6-4 at the top of the lineup for a 3-0 ECU lead in the match.
The Huskies answered and picked up wins on courts two, five and three to even the match at 3-all. In the deciding match on court four, Michelle Castro was battling Summer Walker after splitting the first two sets, 2-6, 6-3. Her 6-4 third set win propelled the Purple & Gold to victory.
The win marked the Pirates’ second 4-3 victory over the Huskies in a week. ECU defeated UConn in Cincinnati on Saturday.
The Pirates advance to face No. 3 seed SMU on Thursday at Collegiate Center Courts 7-12 at the USTA National Campus. First serve is set for 3 p.m.
1. Ruiz, Celia (ECU) def. Alderman, Emma (UCONN) 6-3, 6-4
2. Pletnyeva, Yelyzaveta (UCONN) def. Veinsteina, Annija (ECU) 6-2, 6-4
3. Fitz-Randolph, Jacquelyn (UCONN) Hofbauer, Lisa (ECU) 6-3, 7-5
4. Castro, Michelle (ECU) def. Walker, Summer (UCONN) (2-6), 6-3, 6-4
5. Lazaro, Jacqueline (UCONN) def. Sarjoo, Sarah (ECU) 6-2, 6-4
6. Rettich, Nastja (ECU) def. Flanagan, Shea (UCONN), 6-1, 6-1
1. Ruiz, Celia / Hofbauer, Lisa (ECU) def. Alderman, Emma/Pletnyeva, Yelyzaveta (UCONN), 6-1
2. Gomez, Maria/Rettich, Nastja (ECU)vs. Fitz-Randolph, Jacquelyn/Perrotta, Gillian (UCONN), unfinished
3. Castro, Michelle/Veinsteina, Annija (ECU) def. Lazaro, Jacqueline/Flanagan, Shea (UCONN) 6-4