Deputies save man from burning Pamlico County home

PAMLICO COUNTY, NC (WITN)- Deputies didn't hesitate to enter a home that was on fire to save a man.

The Pamlico County Sheriff's Office says that the fire happened at 393 Cowell Loop Road in Bayboro on Tuesday around noon.

Once on scene, deputies quickly located a woman just inside the front door and brought her outside. The woman told deputies that her husband was still inside in a back bedroom.

We're told the deputies reentered the home full of smoke and fire, and crawled to the back bedroom where they found the man. The man had been overcome by smoke and was quickly brought outside by the deputies.

One animal was rescued by the deputies as well, but two others couldn't be saved.

Several Pamlico County fire departments arrived on scene and extinguished the fire.

The blaze is under investigation by the sheriff's office and the Pamlico County Fire Marshals Office.