Victim identified in deadly Jones County fire

JONES COUNTY, NC (WITN) - Authorities have identified a man who died in a house fire Sunday night in Jones County.

Charles Wilson, 59, of Wilson, died from smoke inhalation after becoming trapped in the old home.

Wilson and his son were staying at the house on Ten Mile Fork Road while they hunted in the area, according to the homeowner.

The fire marshal believes gasoline was accidentally put in a kerosene heater that was lit. The two men unsuccessfully tried to get the burning heater out of the home.

The older Wilson was trapped in the house and his body was later found.


Previous Story

A time of recreation in Eastern Carolina ended in tragedy for one family after authorities say a house fire turned deadly.

The Jones County fire marshal says a father was killed while on a hunting trip with his son when a kerosene heater caught fire.

Sunday night, fire crews responded to a fire out in the county on Ten Mile Fork Road, where a father and son were staying, when devastation broke out.

Charred wood and broken glass are now painful reminders for those who live down that road.

"Just a bad situation, man out here hunting and enjoying himself and to have something like that happen to him," says John Rouse who lives on Ten Mile Fork Road.

A bad situation that dispatched a total of five fire and EMS crews to 1769 Ten Mile Fork Road just after 9:30 p.m. Sunday. That's where a father and son were staying on a hunting trip and where a kerosene heater exploded.

"We called SBI in to help us investigate, but it appears that there was a malfunction in the heater, possibly there was gasoline put into a kerosene heater, and the heater erupted in flames," says Tim Pike, the Jones County fire marshal.

Pike says the father and son worked to remove the heater from the home and the son was able to escape, but the father was trapped inside, where he died of smoke inhalation.

"We found the body right at the doorway," Pike tells WITN.

He says the fire burned quickly through the 1920's-era home, but crews were able to contain the blaze within 30 minutes.

Pike says this tragedy is just another reminder of heater safety. "You know, always make sure you put the right fuel in the right heaters, make sure your filters are clean for electric heaters, make sure you have adequate space around the heater. Just general safety."

Authorities are not releasing the names, ages or hometowns of those involved.

The owner of the home, Edwin Foscue, says this father and son had been staying at the home for many years on their hunting trips.

The home has been deemed a total loss and the fire remains under investigation by the SBI.


Previous Story

A county fire marshal says they believe gasoline put in a kerosene heater caused a Sunday night fire that killed a man.

Jones County Fire Marshal Tim Pike says multiple fire departments were called out around 9:30 p.m. to the home on Ten Mile Fork Road outside of Trenton.

Edwin Foscue owns the 1920s-era home. He says a father and son come and stay in the home each year to hunt.

Pike says after the heater exploded, the two men tried to move it outside. The son was able to get out, while the father was trapped. He believes the father died from smoke inhalation.

Names, ages and hometowns of the two men have not yet been released.

The home was destroyed by the fire.


Previous Story

Deputies confirm that a person has died in a fire that destroyed a home in Jones County last Sunday.

The fire happened on Ten Mile Fork Road outside of Trenton.

Multiple volunteer fire departments responded to the fire as the initial call came in as a fire with someone trapped inside.

Edwin Foscue owns the 1920s-era home. He says a father and son come and stay in the home each year to hunt.

Foscue says a kerosene heater caused the fire that killed the father. He says the son survived the fire.