Mr. J. V. Waller
Union County Heritage Festival
1. Use either dried pinto beans or Great Northern Beans (or a combination)
2. Look through beans to remove gravel, trash and defective beans.
3. Wash beans with warm water and discard water.
4. Place beans in a suitable container (pot or large bowl), cover beans completely, plus 3 or 4 extra inches of water. Let soak overnight or for at least 8 hours. Beans will at least double in size. Discard water they were soaking in.
5. Put beans in a large cooking pot, cover with water, add salt to taste and a good chunk of salt pork. Cook for approximately 1 ½ or 2 hours or until tender. In the last 30 minutes of cooking, add ½ to 1 stick of butter, depending on the amount of beans.
6. Beans should be served piping hot in their juice with a slice of onion and a good sized piece of cornbread.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.